To Kill a Dementor...

Dementors are obviously tricky to defeat. On that note, what do we think would happen if you backed a Dementor into a cage using a patronus and then crushed the cage flat?
Dementors are obviously tricky to defeat. On that note, what do we think would happen if you backed a Dementor into a cage using a patronus and then crushed the cage flat?
Well, what if everybody was happy in the world and there was nobody to feed on?
I recently read this fanfic, called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It's a fantastic read, especially for a Ravenclaw, but is not written by Rowling. The author, who goes by the pen name of 'Less Wrong', delves deeper into what makes a Dementor a Dementor while Harry is learning the Patronus Charm. The book is an Alternate Universe version of The Philosopher's Stone, and it completely changes Harry and Quirrel's characters while keeping everybody else relatively the same. So anyway, Harry figures out that a Dementor is a representation of Death. And basically, Harry rejects the idea of death and vows to figure out a way to rid the world of it. This allows him to cast what the author calls the True Patronus Charm, which takes the form of a human, and kills the Dementor. Although the fanfic is not canon, it provides an excellent perspective of the books.
An interesting concept, but doesn't that make Harry like Voldemort? Wanting to be free of death rather than the way Harry is in the books where he is accepting of dying in the name of whats right? Sure a Dementor is very unescapable like Death, but how does the fic cover the eating of happy memories etc? How long is it? I might give it a read.
That's a good theory. But flattening the cage would be a hard idea. The question would be is how to crush the cage and if that will evaporate the dementor or shrink it.
It can't be done, as far as I know, they are simply the ghosts of dark wizards and witches who are clinging on to their earthly form by feeding on the life energy of living people, rather than feeding on the source energy of the Earth, like regular ghosts, so you can't ever really get rid of them either. In my experience, they can sometimes be reasoned with though. There's also always the possibility that you're dealing with what appears to be a dementor, but is actually just a spell from a dark witch or wizard, in which case you can defend yourself effectively using a simple shielding spell.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!