This always made me wonder...

Why do you think Harry and Hermione are allowed to tamper with Buckbeak and Black, but absolutely nothing else, when they travel back in time?
Why do you think Harry and Hermione are allowed to tamper with Buckbeak and Black, but absolutely nothing else, when they travel back in time?
I still wonder though, why save just buckbeak and sirius then? you could use the timeturner to save so many others. say or instance, james and lily. or even kill voldemort early on. what is the logic behind saving just these two?
akanksha chhettri wroteI still wonder though, why save just buckbeak and sirius then? you could use the timeturner to save so many others. say or instance, james and lily. or even kill voldemort early on. what is the logic behind saving just these two?Because of the reason Lucius has explained. To kill Voldemort you have to go back 14 years and if you succeed, everything will change drastically. And then, there's always Murphy's Law.
All laws aside, if you went back and changed just one little thing, one life- if you saved James and Lily or killed Voldemort (which would be hard because of the horcruxes)- everything would change. The world wouldn't be the same anymore, it would be entirely different. There would most definitely be repercussions of some kind. Like in Doctor Who, when the Doctor says that time isn't a strict progression of cause to effect, it's more like "a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff." It's not as simple as it seems, it's crazy complex. Time would probably try to make up for the changes because what was supposed to happen will happen, in the end. The thing with Buckbeak is that he never died. Harry and Hermione didn't go back and change his fate, because he never died in an original version of time- they had saved him in every version. If you had saved Lily and James, Voldemort would never have been defeated and Harry would have grown up with parents, which would make him a totally different person.
Like everyone has been saying- everything would change SO much, so many things, so much countless possibilities, it's overwhelming. It is also mentioned on Pottermore that going back in time more than 5 hours has serious consequences to the user of a Time-Turner, in most cases, death.
Why could they save Buckbeak and Sirius? Because they already had. By the time Dumbledore tells Hermione to use the timeturner, he already knew that Buckbeak hadn't been killed. He had also come down to the hospital wing after leaving Sirius at the top of the Astronomy tower. There was enough time for him to have potentially seen Harry and Hermione rescuing Sirius. Remember, the "second copy" of H&H had a long way to run through the castle to get back to the Hospital Wing after seeing Sirius off. Why couldn't Harry save his parents? Time turners can only be used for short periods of time 24-48 hours at most.Why didn't Dumbledore save Lily and James years earlier? Because he knew that to save Lily would put Harry in danger. Remember that Lily's sacrifice gave him the blood protection. Dumbledore would have figured this out. Why didn't one of the Potter's other friends go back and save them? Time Turners were strictly regulated by the Ministry of Magic. By the time one of them could have gotten their hands on a Time Turner it would have been too late to do anything about it.
I agree with what everyone else has been saying. If Voldemort had been killed (say, in infancy or as a young child) by using a Time Turner to go back in time, then everything would have changed. I always felt (and this might just be my interpretation) that James and Lily were brought together in the first place by their common stance against Voldemort and the Dark Arts. Had there been no Voldemort to bring them together, would they have even married each other or had Harry to begin with? It was quite plain in Order of the Phoenix, that Lily at one point even despised James. Lily may have been swayed more towards Severus as a couple because maybe, without Voldemort's rise to power and the prevalence of Dark Magic, Snape wouldn't have become a Death Eater or followed the path he did which resulted in him losing Lily's friendship. While Voldemort was evil, he also brought the wizarding world together in order to destroy him. Without Voldemort, would Harry, Ron, and Hermione even be friends? Considering that it was Quirrell (possessed by Voldemort) who let the troll in on Halloween which resulted in Harry and Ron saving Hermione and them becoming friends, none of that would have happened if Voldemort hadn't existed. These were just a few examples of possible consequences of using Time Turners.
not to mention can you imagine how many times you'd have to turn that thing to get to the night his parents died? Let alone Voldemort's childhood.
Still, if say someone was to go back in time to the Marauders time period via other means, and collected the created horcorxs after seeing the outcome of the war, they would at that point after seeing such an tragic ending feel that any outcome would indeed be better then the one they where forced to suffer through. They could allow time follow as it may with their appearance, creating a sort of parallel universe in which the events almost occurred, such as James and Lily's death. Even inform the Order of things that would of occurred but may have changed due to their arrival in the past, new events overshadowing key events in original timeline, and a race to stop Voldi before they make things worst. It would have been an interesting read.
Kryss Ravesca wrotenot to mention can you imagine how many times you'd have to turn that thing to get to the night his parents died? Let alone Voldemort's childhood.Plus I don't think anyone would want to wait a loooonnnng time for it to even be their time again. Plus (well, this wouldn't matter for Dumbledore), you would be muchmuchmuchmuch older, right?
hmm
actually I agree with Lucius Almeida  because I'm a whovian so I have understanding of time and the Doctor says that there r fixed points in time I imagine those points when something drastic happens like for example your grandma dies and you miss her If you saved her it would become a paradox and the world will go into chaos. So if harry saved his parents the world would go into chaos or if he didnt save imself he would seas to exist
Also they could get rid of Malfoy too
I think they tampered with Black because 1 he was put into holding for no reason and 2 the school had the wrong impression of him due to the lies from the Daily Prophet.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!