Gary Oldman

In my opinion, they could've chosen a worse person to play Sirius. Honestly. EVERYTHING was wrong. They didn't look alike, act alike and even dress alike. Gary was way to short to play Sirius. Gary Oldman playing Sirius was really disappointing to me.  I was thinking more along the lines of Johnny Depp, James Franco and Orlando Bloom. Or maybe I'm just a crazy fangirl. I was also thinking, if, though it is very unlikely, Blake Michael would make a GREAT Sirius in a prequel, when Sirius was younger. Your thoughts? 
In my opinion, they could've chosen a worse person to play Sirius. Honestly. EVERYTHING was wrong. They didn't look alike, act alike and even dress alike. Gary was way to short to play Sirius. Gary Oldman playing Sirius was really disappointing to me.  I was thinking more along the lines of Johnny Depp, James Franco and Orlando Bloom. Or maybe I'm just a crazy fangirl. I was also thinking, if, though it is very unlikely, Blake Michael would make a GREAT Sirius in a prequel, when Sirius was younger. Your thoughts? 
If you noticed ,a lot of their casting was way too old for how old these people were supposed to be. I get that Lupin looked a little older than he should have because of the stress that comes with his monthly transformations, but even still, he shouldn't have looked that old. James and Lily were clearly an older couple (I said late 30s early 40s), when in reality they died in their early 20s. Even Snape looked older than his 30s, yet everyone LOVES the casting choice of Alan Rickman as Snape (myself included, I thought he was perfect for the role). So I personally think that Gary Oldman was a good casting choice based on the ages that were shown for his friends that attended Hogwarts at the exact same time as he did.
Most of the age problems are explained easily except for James and Lily, who do look way too old and there's no good reason for it.Sirius has been wasting away for YEARS in Azkaban for a crime he didn't commit, accused of causing the murder of his best friends!   Orlando Bloom? You think a man would look like Orlando Bloom or Johnny Depp after going through that stuff? Sorry but no.  Just... no.  Gary Oldman is appropriately weathered for the role, whereas a younger actor would be totally unrealistic.  Snape, too, has been through some rough stuff, so I agree with Alexmycus.  Between being wracked with guilt and grief from losing Lily's friendship and her eventual death that was mostly his fault (telling Voldy about the prophecy) and then add on the stress of playing double-agent, Alan Rickman is perfect for the role visually despite being 50+ when he was cast because Snape wouldn't look young either after what he's been through.
Honestly, I think he was great for the part... He seemed a little bit out of character at times, but other than that, I liked him a lot...
I love Alan's delivery but sometimes it makes me laugh... I don't remember if it was SS or CoS I was watching the other day but he tells the trio, "People will think you're...............................................................up to something." I swear there was like 30 seconds between "you're" and "up" LMAO! Jeez if HR&H weren't so scared of Snape they would have fallen asleep before he finished the damn sentence lololol
I would assume, just for the movie's sake, they made James and Lilly look older to look more like 'mum and dad'. Had they used too young of people,  it might have seemed odd. This way, it was automatically "Yes, yes these are parents. Harry's parents". As for Oldman, I agree I didn't like him. He didn't fit the bill, not because of his acting per se, but his looks and demeanor were not at all what I imagined while reading the books. You kind of expect a cooler older (OLDER) brother, and this guy is...gross and creepy in the movie lol
No offense, but Orlando Bloom would ahve been awful!
I'm in agreement with a lot of people here...I have no aversion to the actor himself, but I just didn't think he was a good fit for Sirius, and a lot of his moments in PoA especially felt out of character. It's been a while since I saw the movie, but if I recall they cut out a LOT of the Marauders back-story and made him seem totally crazy when you actually met him, so he wasn't really that sympathetic...but one of the important points in the book is he was oddly sane considering his circumstances. He even mentioned he knew he was innocent when at Azkaban, which is why the place didn't drive him insane.  I do agree though that he's not supposed to be particularly good-looking when they meet him though. In the book Harry looks through his photo album once and mentions if he didn't know past-Sirius and present-Sirius were the same, he'd never have known the handsome guy in the wedding pictures was the escaped convict. He's often described has having matted, long hair, sunken eyes, waxy skin, and being far too thin, and his voice is often described as 'croaking' more than speaking. He's not really supposed to be attractive, just a guy who at one point might have been attractive.
A lot of the reason that Johnny Depp would've been a good pick is because of his insane rolls that he always plays... I think Gary Oldman was a great Sirius, considering the circumstances. Plus, he's hot and I always thought as Sirius being hot, so.
Karma Velkyn wrote It's been a while since I saw the movie, but if I recall they cut out a LOT of the Marauders back-story and made him seem totally crazy when you actually met him, so he wasn't really that sympathetic...Sirius was crazy in the books as well. He kept talking about 'only one dieing tonight' and looking at Ron like he wanted to just jump him and kill him - they obviously didn't know yet about Scabbers so they thought he was looking at Ron. He was a lot calmer in the books then he was in the movie, but that might have actually made him even more insane. To be able to say things like that so seriously (no pun intented) about killing a child - as we all thought at the time - is just monstrous. 
I just wished they had done a bit of a better job casting.
I though Gary Oldman played an okay Sirius, but I didn't like who they put as Ginny. Bonnie Wright is older than Daniel Radcliffe in real life, and her hair wasn't even red!
Bonnie Wright was fine. I am one of the people that sort of hates movie Ginny, but she did the best she could with what they gave her. Also, Gary Oldman was almost exactly how I pictured Sirius in the books and I can't be the only one.
Really? Because Sirius is described as tall, with black hair and gray eyes. Gary Oldman isn't that tall, with brown hair and blue eyes...
Katie Clare wroteReally? Because Sirius is described as tall, with black hair and gray eyes. Gary Oldman isn't that tall, with brown hair and blue eyes...You might actually have a point, Katie....
Three words. All. English. Cast.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!