Did you ever wonder...

How is it that Ron, who is supposedly a bad student and can barely remember his lessons, remember what Harry said in Parsletongue 6 years earlier to open the Chamber of Secrets during the Battle of Hogwarts?
How is it that Ron, who is supposedly a bad student and can barely remember his lessons, remember what Harry said in Parsletongue 6 years earlier to open the Chamber of Secrets during the Battle of Hogwarts?
Don't be so harsh with Ron! He had seven O.W.L.'s!
I think sometimes, people pick what to remember and forget what they think is unimportant or boring.
He didn't remember what he said in the chamber. He said Harry mumbled in his sleep in parseltounge.
If I were Ron, I'm pretty sure I would remember my best friend saying something in a language that was labeled bad. Not to mention that Ron did hear Harry speak Parseltongue* more than once.*I had to check that I had spelled Parseltongue right.
I think Ron uses the "open" phrase that Harry used to open the locket earlier in DH, so it's even more plausible that he would have remembered it because it was recent and it was also a really important and emotional occasion for him - he was rejoining Harry and doing his best to help them, he would have been on edge, and he was exposed to the sight of his fears taunting him. I'd remember it vividly if I were in his situation. (This is moving into conjecture, but I reckon the action of opening the locket symbolised letting out his jealousy and anger and all the bad feelings inside himself, and so hearing his best friend say the words that triggered that could well have haunted him.)
No he didn't just "remember" off the top of his head, although that doesn't say anything about his grades! He was actually not a bad student, he just didn't work very hard. In fact, I assume his grades were pretty good (and on the occasions we hear about them, they are), especially since Hermione did most of his work for him. As for the Parseltongue, Ron mentions (rather causally, really) that Harry talks in his sleep-apparently, he speaks in Parseltongue. Hope that helps?~Ellie 
In the book, Harry went with them.  The film altered it a bit without an explanation... but yeah I reckon he tried to copy the "open" from earlier in the film.
Gemma McGee wroteIn the book, Harry went with them.  The film altered it a bit without an explanation... but yeah I reckon he tried to copy the "open" from earlier in the film.In the book, Harry returned to the Room of Requirement expecting to find Ron and Hermione but they weren't there because they were off getting the Basilisk fangs.
What the movie tweaked was Ron saying "he talks in his sleep". In the book, Ron is remembering it from when Harry said it. I could go on a tangent for my dislike of that little part of the story for many reasons, but I guess we just have to accept it. parseltonguecan'tjustbecopiedgrrromg/endrant
Eben Adams wroteJaime Jo Brown wroteWhat the movie tweaked was Ron saying "he talks in his sleep". In the book, Ron is remembering it from when Harry said it. I could go on a tangent for my dislike of that little part of the story for many reasons, but I guess we just have to accept it. parseltonguecan'tjustbecopiedgrrromg/endrantYou have to agree with this statement, because no noob can just copy the words (more like sounds) that a Parselmouth makes, because they should be very complex. The words/sounds in Parseltongue are genuine snake sounds after all, just put into a language. It should practically take weeks, months, even years to perfect and copy what harry did in his sleep. Even if Ron could remember what Harry said in his sleep, how would he know if they were the correct words. Harry wont just go up to Ron one day and say, "Ron, if I make these sounds in my sleep, know that they are the password to the chamber of secrets." Won't happen in a million years, until JK Rowling writes it in the book, of course. Okay yeah the whole "talks in his sleep" thing is just... weird. I agree much more with the book, where Ron actually just remembered it, because then at least he isn't being weird and listening to his best friend talk snake in his sleep... and I agree that it would take a long time to perfect Parseltongue, but I believe that one word, although probably crude when Ron said it, was probably correct enough to trigger the opening of the Chamber of Secrets.
I used to assume that Parseltongue was a magical ability that you didn't choose to get, but was more of a hereditary thing. I never considered what Eben said, that it is just so complex and foreign to us that it would be unbelievably difficult to learn, but I really like that. I think I remember learning somewhere that after a certain period in our life, the sounds that we learned to make using our native language become ingrained in us, and we are no longer capable (or it becomes immensely difficult) to make other sounds that were not in our language, but that could be in other languages. Given this, and the fact that our mouths aren't remotely the same as a snake's, it is pretty safe to assume that almost no one would be able to speak it unless they were magically inclined from birth.In fact I remember Rowling stating that Dumbledore could understand Parseltongue, but it was never specifically determined if he could speak it. Given his hobby for languages, and the fact that Voldemort was roaming around, I think if it were possible to learn Paresltongue, Dumbledore would be one to do so, but realistically he just may not have had the capabilities, so settled for learning to understand it.
Maybe Ron has a gift for languages that was never touched on in the series. And the time period when Harry opented the locket was very emotional for him. So perhaps it just stuck.
Maybe. Or maybe he has a good memory if he wants to.
Gemma McGee wroteIn the book, Harry went with them.  The film altered it a bit without an explanation... but yeah I reckon he tried to copy the "open" from earlier in the film.In the book, Ron and Hermione didn't kiss in the Chamber of Secrets after getting chased by a ton of water.
http://www.theparselmouth.com/mp3/7pih88ab6j4l6bp1cdaan9f6k0_0.MP3http://www.theparselmouth.com/

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!