A study on Polyjuice Potions

Just realized something: In DH, during the Seven Harry's chapter, Remus thinks that Harry might be an impostor. He corners him and asks him a question to verify that he is himself.This is all well and good until you think about the fact that Harry's hair was used to create the polyjuice potion that changed everyone into him just hours before. Here is the question I want to debate: Can the polyjuice potion transform a third party into the original target if the middle-man is under the effect of polyjuice? In this case it would take on the properties of the wizard's current appearance which is suggested by the fact that people that drink the potions have the exact length of hair, stubble, scars and other non-DNA qualities.The alternative: Lupin was overreacting and forgot this little detail (entirely believable in the stressful situation).What do you think?
Just realized something: In DH, during the Seven Harry's chapter, Remus thinks that Harry might be an impostor. He corners him and asks him a question to verify that he is himself.This is all well and good until you think about the fact that Harry's hair was used to create the polyjuice potion that changed everyone into him just hours before. Here is the question I want to debate: Can the polyjuice potion transform a third party into the original target if the middle-man is under the effect of polyjuice? In this case it would take on the properties of the wizard's current appearance which is suggested by the fact that people that drink the potions have the exact length of hair, stubble, scars and other non-DNA qualities.The alternative: Lupin was overreacting and forgot this little detail (entirely believable in the stressful situation).What do you think?
Hmm, I didn't really understand what you're trying to say. What do you mean by middle-man? Sorry if I seem stupid, but I couldn't really understand it. Could you maybe explain by replacing middle-man and third party into actual names from the book?God, I feel so stupid right now.
For example, if Harry had in fact been a Death Eater in disguise, we'll say Bob just for names sake, then how would the other six people have been transformed into Harry.Example: Bob drinks the potion and becomes Harry. Bob (as Harry) impersinates him. Ron, Fluer, Mundungus, Hermione, Fred and George all take the potion with Bob's hair (who still looks like Harry) and when the drink it they look like Harry as well. Harry is the original target. Bob is the middle-man. Ron, Fluer, Mundungus, Hermione, Fred and George are the third parties.This isn't what happens. It's a complex question, sorry.
Super simplified to take it out of movie context: If I took a polyjuice potion to look like you, then Novi decided he wanted to look like you and took one of my hairs (while i still look like you) would he also look like you or would he look like me?I think the third party (Novi) would look the the initial target (you). Therefore the middle-man (me) doesn't really matter much.
OHHHHH! Thanks for explaining. I agree, I still think they would look like Harry. Because "Bob" is at the moment they take his hair, quite literally Harry in appearance, down to the very last detail. I guess his DNA would be Harry's at that moment so Fleur and the others would still look like the initial target (Harry). 
We should ask Professor Wolfe or Professor Nivera, maybe they'll know?
I almost posted this in the potions board... 
Maybe you should, I mean it's a hypothetical question on the Polyjuice Potion and maybe more people would discuss it there?
I did.
I think that if you took a hair of the death eater as Harry, you will look like the death eater, because the hair of the death eater just change its appareance but has the same DNA.
But Polyjuice potion doesn't work via DNA. It works based on some deeper sense of being.
Oh man, I would love to know this information about the inner workings of the Polyjuice Potion! Did you post it in a thread or in the Potions Club?
Bronze Feather wroteBut Polyjuice potion doesn't work via DNA. It works based on some deeper sense of being.That statement can almost be taken to support both sides of the argument. As your original post stated Polyjuice Potion does copy the individual's appearance down to the last detail as they are at that moment. As evidenced by Barty Jr's needing Moody's artificial leg and magical eye for actual use, not just to pull off the appearance we can assume that this would apply to tattoos and piercings. Polyjuice Potion does only change the outside appearance, but not the inner person. From Chamber of Secrets when Harry and Ron take the potion they have to try to change their voices to match Crabbe and Goyle it's not automatic. The voice issue is also supported in the DH:1 movie in the scene with the seven potters when Hermione and Fleur speak in their own voices but look like Harry. Based on this, it would seem as though if a Death Eater had been impersonating Harry when the Order showed up then, yes, they would have changed to look like Harry. That also makes Lupin look a little less stupid.However, "it works based on some deeper sense of being" is an interesting statement. Said impostor Death Eater would not have believed himself to be Harry, so would the Polyjuice Potion pick up on this instead and turn them all into copies of him or herself? Interesting philosophical question.
The voices were only in the movies, though. Voices changed too in the books. The only thing that remains unchanged is their mind and memories
Didn't just their body change, though? For instance, when Barty was Mad-eye, he had to take Mad-eye's eye and leg, which would lead me to assume that the potion would not give you piercings, and maybe not even tattoos. Also, Fleur still has her accent, even when she looks like Harry. I'm looking at the 7th book now. Do their voices change to Harry's? I can't tell if it's for the sake of the reader or not, but Harry seems to know when it's Hermione or Ron speaking, which would be hard to do if they all sounded like Harry.In any case, I would assume that no, you could only use DNA from the original for the potion to work. I think it's all too easy to get strands of hair, and since Lupin understood that they were betrayed, he may have thought that anyone in their current group was the betrayer, and it would have been very easy for anyone in the group to either get one of Harry's hairs, or a bit of the potion, in order to give to a Death Eater imposter.
In CoS, Harry and Ron did have their voices change into Crabbe and Goyle's tone. In the cases of Crouch Jr and Mad-Eye, the leg and eye didn't change because they were not organic. However, he did transform without an eye and leg which would suggest more than DNA is the determination of the transformation. If it was strictly DNA, then Crouch Jr would have been a whole Mad-Eye Moody with two complete legs, two eyes, no scars and all his nose.
Very interesting, everyone. Maybe Remus was panicking and didn't know what he was talking about, or whatever.
You would get the piercings, but not the jewelry that goes in them. Tattoos are more complicated and up for debate, but I think you would, maybe? They're akin to a burn or scar to me.In the book the voices do change, but they still keep their own way of speaking. I don't recall the exact quote, but from CoS Ron and Harry give each other tips like "He's deeper than that." or something, implying that the inflection was off. So yes, Harry!Fleur would still have a French accent, but it would be Harry's voice, with a French accent. That he knew it was Ron and Hermione could just imply he knew them so well as to recognize their way of speaking.Personally I believe that a middle-man hair would either turn you into the middle man or it wouldn't work at all. I think it all boils down to possession: The Polyjuice is just supposed to contain a part of the person. Most people forget it doesn't have to be a hair, hairs are just easiest. Because the middle man hair does not actually belong to the intended target, it wouldn't work.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!