Harry Potter spin off! NEED HELP!!

In my muggle school, I will be taking an independent study. My idea was to create a Harry Potter spin off, based on the Children. The thing is, I have no Idea how to start. I have the general Idea, It will be based off of Rose Weasley, Sorted into Ravenclaw (because the original series focuses completely on Gryffindor, and I feel like the child of Hermione Granger would be a Ravenclaw). I might change it so It focuses on different characters each "episode" but I might just stick with Rose. Basically the general theme is being compared to their parents and being unable to live up to those standards. But then again I kinda want to make Rose gay. Any thoughts or suggestions?
In my muggle school, I will be taking an independent study. My idea was to create a Harry Potter spin off, based on the Children. The thing is, I have no Idea how to start. I have the general Idea, It will be based off of Rose Weasley, Sorted into Ravenclaw (because the original series focuses completely on Gryffindor, and I feel like the child of Hermione Granger would be a Ravenclaw). I might change it so It focuses on different characters each "episode" but I might just stick with Rose. Basically the general theme is being compared to their parents and being unable to live up to those standards. But then again I kinda want to make Rose gay. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I think you've an excellent idea there. I'd focus on Rose as the protagonist. I can imagine she's friends with the others and the viewer will get to see their situation through Rose's eyes. They will see that Potter's children have to live up to certain expectations as well. Making Rose gay is pretty interesting as it's still a taboo subject in many countries and will definitely win you fans. :)
That's actually a really fascinating idea! Focusing on one character would definitely solidify the story more, but adding in a few episodes that look in on other characters is also a good plan too. I definitely agree that Rose should be written as a protagonist if you're going to go that route, and then sprinke in a few episodes that focus on others here and there. A good story has a bit of diversity.If you need help at all feel free to drop me a message! I'm a film student in muggle college, myself.
I like the idea of focusing on Rose because she is indeed the child two war heroes and is likely to feel a lot of pressure from that. I think that you could easily make her gay, but I would be sensitive as to how you approach the subject to avoid any sort of controversies (though people that have a problem with LGBT people can just get over themselves). I also like the idea of showing the struggles that she faces with the other houses, maybe some teasing from bigoted Slytherins or overly opinionated Gryffindors or something like that. I also feel like focusing on her siblings and Harry's children is a nice idea. Maybe there could be a scene about her coming out to her family and how they react or something along those lines. In general, I would be careful not to turn her into Hermione because if she is smart and bookish (and seeing as you'd want her to be a Ravenclaw, I'd assume she would be) she is likely to be similar to her mother. Just be careful not to make them overlap so much that Rose loses the individuality of her character. I hope these suggestions help and message me if you have any other thoughts to bounce off of me! -Gwyneth
You could always write each chapter as a POV like A Song of Ice and Fire.  That way you could really flesh out each character and their reactions and reasons for their reactions.  Sometimes a persons reaction is based on their own experiences, values etc, but logic can win in the end.  I have a friend who came out to their parents as trans.  The dad flipped (because he was raised to believe things had to be just so), but when the mother died he realized that his new daughter was all he had left and they reconciled.
I like this idea. For me personally, the idea of having a gay character is overdone - simply because I often see it while editing or aiding in writing and planning. Depending on the amount of research you are willing to do, I'd suggest a mental illness or even a physical illness - those are overdone on fanfiction websites by people trying to romanticize it and don't take time to do research - so I think writing about something that is taboo, but written effectively might be really nice.Also, focusing on one character is better if you are going to write in first person. If you write in third you can effectively focus on all of them. POV changing is often weird to read and I don't tend to take it seriously as it's usually repetitive or leaves gaps.EITHER WAY IS FANTASTIC! Keep me in the loop. Just wanted to throw out some suggestions (:
I think making Rose a lesbian is good . in so many movies and shows everyone is straight and i think this is good! sorry for the short reply

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!