continuity errors/fun observations between the movie, the published textbook, and other texts/films!

okay so! i was wondering if i was the only one who found these, but after seeing fantastic beasts, i decided to look in my copy of the book and see if i could find any connections. i found, in the "about newt scamander" section of the book, a part stating that he had graduated from hogwarts. but the movie says he was expelled! so that's continuity error #1. #2 is far more minor, but noteworthy nonetheless! in the movie, all of the fwoopers were a nice gemstone-y purple, but in the book, it is said that fwoopers can be any of four colors: orange, pink, yellow or lime green. i also found out that tina and newt end up getting married (thank goodness!). in the about section, it states that he and his wife porpentina live with their three pet kneazles. i looked up tina goldstein, and voila! her full name is porpentina! i also scrolled down to find that she's distantly related to luna lovegood! but bad news. thus far, queenie and jacob do not get married. if you read this far, thank you! some people may have already found and posted this, but if you haven't/have made other discoveries about fantastic beasts, feel free to comment them and stuff! i'd love to talk about this stuff!
Interesting.
please don't feel offended by this, but they mightn't actually be errors. the book of fantastic beasts and where to find them is being republished next with some new creatures. so it is possible that the errors might be changed in the new version of the book.
I need to know more about Leta Lestrange!
my thing was - if he was expelled from Hogwarts why wasn't his wand broken like they did to Hagrid? (or was that b/c Hagrid got someone killed)
One thing I had a slight problem with was that Queenie and Tina did not know what many of the creatures were. I mean, they were clearly accomplished witches (Tina was an Auror), and they had attended Ilvermorny, but why weren’t they taught about the various magical creatures?
@Florence Not necessarily! Remember, the MACUSA has very strict requirements when it comes to what creatures can be owned or bred (at least in NYC, though it follows that the magical laws may apply to all of the US). Europe on the other hand seems to have a much more lenient set of rules, though it's worth noting that the settings are 70 years apart. People may know about some creatures, but since they probably aren't legally allowed to own them and they aren't native to the environs, it stands to reason that information doesn't get out about them. @Erin Yeah, we don't really know the circumstances that surround someone being expelled vs. having their wand snapped. I'm inclined to agree with your hypothesis that Hagrid was expelled and his wand snapped because he was framed for the murder. I don't believe we learn why Newt was expelled, but we do know that wizarding children can be homeschooled, so it's likely that whatever he did was enough to get him expelled but not enough to have his wand taken away. It's also entirely possible that the laws in the European Wizarding World changed between the early 1900s and the 1950s when Hagrid was expelled.
Remus mac tíre (student) Member since 10/08/2016 please don't feel offended by this, but they mightn't actually be errors. the book of fantastic beasts and where to find them is being republished next with some new creatures. so it is possible that the errors might be changed in the new version of the book. I wouldn't call them "errors" per se as its still the same Author of the Author. More... the original Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them is how old now? I think its more like "Adjustments". Something that lore wise could be accounted for due to inaccurate historical facts (and in reality JKRowlign went, "Nahhh this fits better")
I think one must remember as well is that most of the beasts newt brings over are not native to American soil. So it's more than possible they know about other creatures that are not found in Europe but we are not yet exposed to them.
The big thing that annoyed me was that the animals weren't quite the same as in the book. I got it from the library after I watched the movie, and though Newt CLEARLY knew about these things while he was writing it, there was no mention of occamies shrinking and growing or of demiguises seeing the most probable future or even nifflers having that pouch. That bugged me a lot.

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!