Hogwarts Quiddidtch

I think the people who have founded Hogwarts is Here should make a Hogwarts Quidditch. I know that might be difficult, but I think it should be fun. But, I have no idea how they are going to make quidditch teams for each house.
I think the people who have founded Hogwarts is Here should make a Hogwarts Quidditch. I know that might be difficult, but I think it should be fun. But, I have no idea how they are going to make quidditch teams for each house.
I hope we all have to take flying class and everyone who passes can choose to apply to be on the Quidditch team in there house. Also if we all have to take flying class it wouldn't be an elective and that would give people a chance to take other electives of their choice.
I think it would have to be a mixture of roleplay, and using some kind of 20 sided dice or something. I guess whover is Quidditch admin would do the rolls and each phase of the game could be divided into turns.So for example, you could have something like this. First you'd have the chaser's phase (and goalscoring phase), then the beater's phase, then the snitches' phaseThe Chasers phase1-5 you drop the quaffle then there is a roll to who retrives it first (1-10 the attacking team retrieves it, 11-20 the defending team picks it up)6-10 the quafle gets intercepted11-20 - the pass is madeThere should be a situation for scoring (say three or four consecutive complete passes by one team leads to a goal scoring opportunity)Again a 20 sided dice would be used:1-4: Miss5-10: Keeper saves it11-20: Goal scoredThe Beaters phaseBoth sides would roll this though the results would be slightly different for the attackers and the defendersFor the defenders:1-15: Misses16-18: Hits the chasers who aren't carrying the quaffle, reduces their passing by 1 (e.g. a roll of 11 would give a result of 10)19-20 - Hits the chaser who is carrying the quaffle, knocking it out of their hands. You then roll to see whether the defending or attacking team retrieves it (see above), this can also be used during a goal scoring opportunity.For the attackers:1-16: Misses17-20: Hits one of the defending chases, this reduces the threshold for getting intercepted by 1. Thus the new passing system becomes:1-5: Drop the quaffle, a roll to see who catches it6-9: The quaffle is intercepted10-20: The pass is made (i.e interceptions become slightly less likely and pass competition becomes much less likely)Then there's the turn for the seekers.Both seekers roll a dice. 19-20 catches the snitch. If one of them rolls a 19 and one a 20, then the catcher will be the one who rolls a 20. Both getting 19 or both getting 20 seems quite unlikely! If neither of them get 19 or 20, then the snitch isn't caught and the game continues.Different weather can also have an impact, for example if it's raining, that can increase the likelihood of quaffles being dropped (1-6 rather than 1-5)----What do you think?
Just to follow up my previous post, here's a site which could be used: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htmAs an example:Hufflepuff are attacking against Gryffindor and have the quaffle...Turn 1Chaser phaseRoll: 16Pass is made, Hufflepuff advanceBeater phaseDefence roll: 3 (misses)Attack roll: 19 (hits, threshold for interception to for the next turn is increases)Seeker PhaseHufflepuff Seeker roll: 16Gryffindor Seeker roll: 8No-one catches the snitch, the match continuesTurn 2Chaser PhaseRoll: 3 (the quaffle is dropped)Roll to determine who retrieves it: 3 (defending team retreives it,  turnover and Gryffindor recieve the Quaffle)Beater Phase:Defence roll: 10 (misses)Attack: 5 (misses)Seeker phase:Hufflepuff seeker rolls: 11Gryffindor seeker rolls: 17Neither seeker catches the snitch, match continuesTurn three (Gryffindor attacking)Chaser PhaseRoll: 4 (quaffle is dropped)Roll to determine who recieves the quaffle: 1 (defence retrieves the quaffle, turnover, Hufflepuff back on the attack)Beater phaseAttack: 12 (miss)Defence: 20 (quaffle is dropped)Roll to find out who retrieves it: 16 (the attacking side retains the quaffle, Hufflepuff are still on the attack)Seeker Phase Hufflepuff Seeker: 20Gryffindor Seeker: 9The Hufflepuff seeker catches the snitch and the match is over! That was just a quick example using the site I linked earlier.*n.b. I swapped it around to when a roll of 1-10 is thrown the defending team gets the quaffle when it's dropped, and 11-19 the attacking team retains it rather than the other way round.
I was Hufflepuff Quidditch captain on myHogwarts about four years ago, before Muggle life interfered with my participation on the site.  One of the professors would referee the game and he or she would call out HP trivia questions.  If you answered the question wrong, you would definitely miss (drop the quaffle if you're a Chaser, or fail to defend the goal posts if you're a Keeper, etc).  If you answered correctly, you *might* score a point or successfully block a goal from the other team.  It worked really well.  I believe they also used dice in some way.  
You *had* to be online at a certain date and time in order to play.  Sometimes I did it while I was at work :/
Maybe the professors and founders could use the trivia game available on the site as Quidditch?
Flannery O'Leary wroteYou could have the actual Quidditch Through The Ages as a textbook for the flying class. Or, if you want to introduce Muggle Quidditch as a course, you could use the International Quidditch Association handbook - I'm studying for my referee exam right now, and it's a 120-page work...There's an exam to be a quidditch referee?! Only problem with using trivia is if it's a bit unfair for some if you have to be online to participate, due to the differing time zones which is particularly an issue as this site is so global. There's no way you can pick a time which is convenient for East and West coast of America, Europe and Asia.I think a big flaw with my idea is that it's completely down to chance. I suppose you could argue it's an even chance for everyone, but it doesn't particularly require skill or knowledge (but is that necessarily a bad thing?). Unless you get some kind of a bonus for particularly good RP.
The time thing worked out okay on mH, and that was an international site as well... I suppose if I was online in the US at noon it was 6 pm or whatever for the players online in the UK... and it might be a bit unfair but like Snape told Harry, Life isn't fair.  Haha but really, it's not like everybody gets to play Quidditch in the story, they have to sacrifice their free time and dedicate themselves.  And one other thing I will say in defense of trivia is :  the stress of having to answer the trivia question correctly before anyone else definitely brought some genuine excitement and pressure to the match, and that was really fun and made you feel like you actually accomplished something if you won a match.
Ravenclaw already has a team. We set one up as a dorm. All though it would be nice if we had some way to interact with each other, rather then just talking in our dorms.
@Rowan we don't actually have a team, we discussed it (more like shouted it) in the common room but there is no team. Though it seems second years get to play it later on in the year, but still there is no actual team according to the website.Though I think we should lean towards the dice option, everyone here has got extensive HP trivia anyway.
I agree, Rebecca. The current trivia questions are too easy, but with the dice option, well, some people read books for the sake of reading them and they don't understand a thing, so some people might just get chosen and they don't know what a Chaser, or a Keeper, or a Snitch, or a Bludger is. So, It would be really hard to chose people. Maybe we should make a test?
There could also be a kind-of online board game with virtual pieces and dice, using the rules stated above. But HIH's only programmer, keith, is already overworked with everything else so it would have to be made by a third party or something.
True. It would be hard for him. You know, I have another idea. There could be a dorm in each HiH house called Quidditch House,or something. THe first message would be a quiz about Quidditch, and whoever wants to do it can owl it to the leader of each dorm. The results will show who can join the quidditch team. Oh, we'll also have to give Keith a challenge though, if we use my idea.
I never realised Muggle quidditch was so well formalised. [quote]True. It would be hard for him. You know, I have another idea. There could be a dorm in each HiH house called Quidditch House,or something. THe first message would be a quiz about Quidditch, and whoever wants to do it can owl it to the leader of each dorm. The results will show who can join the quidditch team. Oh, we'll also have to give Keith a challenge though, if we use my idea.[/quote]Tbf, we wouldn't have to necessarily restrict it to just 4 teams (i.e. 28 people) as I'm sure there'd be a lot of demand to join a Quidditch team. Instead we could have for example Ravenclaw 1st VII, Ravenclaw 2nd VII, Ravenclaw 3rd VII as they do with sports teams in real life. Unlike real life, this would not reflect the 'skill' level of the players but simply reflect the order in which the teams were formed. This means there's theoretically no limit on the number of teams or players, although Ravenclaw 56nd VII might sound a bit odd! And of course, teams could play other houses but it wouldn't matter what number team they are, for example you could get Hufflepuff 8th VII vs Ravenclaw 11th VII. Hufflepuff aren't necessarily going to be a better team though.An alternative is having people come together and creating their own team with their own original name.... Most likely following the naming conventions of Quidditch in the HP universe (i.e. a place and a nickname.... for example the Lincoln Loremasters or Canterbury Chasers or Newcastle Nymphs or Houston Hippogryffs)Either way, it'd be good if we could have league tables and so on! Maybe different divisions with relegation and promotion, depending o numbers!   And someone could report on the Quidditch matches for the Daily Owl (I was going to apply for a Quidditch reporting role before they said Daily Owl posts couldn't be IC, but technically this wouldn't be IC as such....)! 
Ella Frey wroteI totally agree! We sould be able to aqctually play Quidduch! It's a big part of Hogwarts life in the books!!! 
Flannery O'Leary wroteYou could have the actual Quidditch Through The Ages as a textbook for the flying class. Or, if you want to introduce Muggle Quidditch as a course, you could use the International Quidditch Association handbook - I'm studying for my referee exam right now, and it's a 120-page work...They would have to rewrite the Quidditch Through the Ages book, since they can't archive any of J.K. Rowlings books on the site (that book is only free if your library carries it!). I'm not sure about the handbook, but at 120 pages, it would be the longest book on the site!
Angela K wroteYou *had* to be online at a certain date and time in order to play.  Sometimes I did it while I was at work :/good idea I don't think many students even use the trivia part what with classes and all
You know guys they could make it available next year and everyone could play the live game with moves.. So basically everyone plays, not on same pitch but alternate pitches, and we can talk and move around and stuff XD
Yea that would be really fun

Write a reply

You have to sign up or log in to reply to forum discussions!